Monday, June 25, 2007

Apartment Hunting..

It's almost July, and I haven't found an apartment yet. It will be easy for me if I want to stay in Ames until July 2008, but I plan to leave Ames on January 2008. About three months ago, I thought I would move from Ames by the end of July, so I only looked for a summer sublease which run from May to July.

However, my plan changed as I got a part-time job at shelter last month. I thank for their kindness to me because they still want to hire me even though I don't have a car and haven't taken my driver license yet. FYI, most of the human services agencies require its staff to have at least a valid driver license, and some of them demand a personal car from its staff.
The reason is because staff will take kids to park, pool, and community center for activities. Sometimes, staff also take kids to hospital in case of emergency. For case worker or social worker position, you will drive from one place to another to visit your clients.

I told my program coordinator about my situation, and I was surprised that she only said, "That's fine. You just can't drive our van." I actually expected her to withdraw my job offer at that time, so I could leave Ames by the end of July.

Now, I am planning to leave the United States by the end of Dec or the latest will be on Jan 2008. I don't know if things come up, and I have to change my plan again. We'll see how this plan goes..

Anyway, I'll visit two apartments tomorrow, and one on Wednesday...

No comments: