Tuesday, April 22, 2008

UpdaTe

Hello again!

My apartment hunting in Pittsburgh was horrible, but I finally got one. The bad news, it is an expensive one, but I will explain why I come up w/ this particular apartment. I've just got the approval on Monday (4.21) after two days waiting.

Pittsburgh preserves its old buildings, so nearly all the apartment buildings are old. If you go to Iowa State and live in Ames, the buildings are similar to dorms in Richardson Court area such as, Linden Hall, BWR hall, Lyon Hall, and Oak-Elm. Some of the buildings in Pittsburgh even are older than the ones in Richardson Court!!!!!!

I landed on Sunday (April 30) evening, and I managed myself to check some areas behind campus. I found one that I didn't like, so I cancelled my appointment on that night. The next day, I had 4 different appointments and was not satisfied w/ all of them. I visited one apartment, modern building (not built from bricks), but it would cost me nearly $1000 including electric and Internet service. Thus, I didn't pursue it.

Tuesday was much better than Monday's apartment hunting. I visited 3 apartments, the first apartment was good, it is an efficiency, very bright, but no AC. I'll have to pay electric and Internet, and with the rent base, it will give me about $750-$780 per month. The 2nd apartment (under same property management) is a little bit nicer compare the first one, but the heater falls under electric bill, so total rent cost will range $850-$950 per month. Both of them are far from campus, you need to ride a bus, no shuttle buses from univ that will go to that area. The neighborhood is nice, too.
The third apartment is really really far from campus. It takes about 20 minutes (by bus) from apartment to campus area). My admission director helped me to schedule this apartment for me. Only SOcial WOrk grad program students who are allowed to stay in this apartment. The location is on the north side of Oakland (university area), and it belongs to Pittsburgh Theological Seminary. It is cheap, but it is far, so I can't handle it..

the fourth one, is way closer to campus, but not that close. I know it is complicated, but it is difficult to explain unless you see the actual university area in Pittsburgh..
The building is fairly new, not filthy... I have to pay my own electric and Internet, so total monthly rent $750-$850. The shuttle bus will pass that street.

By Wednesday morning, I said to myself that I will pick the one that is close to campus ($750-$850), if my appointment w/ one property management today doesn't go well. I only have one appointment on Wednesday, and won't be able to schedule another one for Thursday and Friday. My last appointment is nice, at least I was impressed from outside, and I learned about this building when I passed by the street. It took me forever to be able to speak w/ the consultant because the line is busy, or no one answered the phone.
The rent covers all utilities incl electric, so I only need to add Internet service. The total will fall somewhere $872. The shuttle bus goes to my street..

After thinking and thinking, I decided to take the last one. Most apartments that I like, the rent fee will fall about the same ($750-$860)Not until Monday that I learned that this apartment was confirmed.


I haven't told my Mom that I chose this one, because I couldn't get hold on her for a week. She took a group to one Asian country for 7 days...

ANyway, it was a long trip for me.... 6 days in Pittsburgh, all alone...
I was glad that I could go back to Ames. Life in Pittsburgh is not as easy as life in Ames...

No comments: