Friday, September 28, 2007

bla..bla..bla...

Hoh..

For some reason, I really want to attend my friend's wedding on November. However, I can't go home....
*sigh..
I don't have any specific topic to write on.. so, please excuse me, if you find today's blog is kind of unstructured.

I haven't found a person who wants to be my housemate. Therefore, I need to save a lot of money to cover the apartment fee. :(

Oh, I cut my hair two days ago. My hair is short now, and I like it!

How's my shelter?
One girl is leaving this morning,so I wish her luck w/ her new placement.
Last night we had one boy who made a lot of trouble. We couldn't control him, and as a result, we couldn't let him go to elevate meeting in YSS main office. He was upset and threw his tantrum to us. We led him alone, so he asked if he could sit in the office. We said yes to him. Surprisingly, he was able to calm himself by chatting with us. He liked Tokyo Drift movie, and I said that I liked that movie, too. He mentioned that he wished he could go to Tokyo. We chatted about places we would like to go when we have a lot of money. My partner said that she wanted to go to Bahama, or a place that allows her to do water sport (I can't remember the name..).
I then told them that I wanted to go to French, Europe, eat various dessert and drink coffee. hahahahaha...
I then shared my high school stories, told them the manner that I had to use when I talked or met older people. Now, my partner and I know how to handle this particular boy. We will just let him alone for a while, in hoping that he will let his anger down.

We also expect another boy to leave shelter soon. He teaches his peers to not comply w/ staff. He basically tries to get his peers in trouble. He will have last evaluation next monday and we hope that he would go to another placement soon.

I am still learning w/ the whole situation. I borrow several books from public library to help me handle moody-troubled-youths. I had read a book about the life story of four troubled youths who were sent to a therapeutic school in Massachusets. I learn how the counselors handle these youths and what situation they encountered throughout the program. I was able to relate the reading with my own workplace because we experienced the same issues, too.

Now, I have three books in my hand. One is about how to cope when you live in a dysfuntional family, and the next one is a book about how adolescents fall to drugs, and the last one is a book to prevent adolescents from committing suicide. I know that these three books equal to reading assignments back when I was in college. However, I need to learn as I will hold a new role. My role is not easy considering that I only have seven months experience in this field and language barrier. As I mentioned last time, youths that come to shelter are from various background. Each of them speaks in different accent, and I need to adjust myself w/ their language styles. They also have to familiarize themselves w/ my accent, so that takes time, too.

Okay, I better to get going..
I work today..
see ya..

No comments: