Sunday, August 12, 2007

Ethic, Philosophy, and Faith

I'm not sure how I will describe my feeling, but I feel not right, guilty, shame, and sad at the same time when I see my friends drink alcoholic beverages in events like a house party or even during weekdays.

Why?
Their drinking habit is not acceptable and probably abusive. It is okay to drink beers or liquors occasionally, but I don't think it is all right to drink alcoholic beverages in "huge" amount almost every night.

I've just come back from a house party that one of my best friends hosted it. I decided to leave early, and I told them that I felt not safe. Some of them understood my decision while some were not. There was a music in addition to beverages, and I worried that polices would search the apartment due to music volume. I am also afraid that every one in that place will get a trouble, and I'll feel guilty if my coordinator knows I have a criminal record due to this event. As you know, I work in shelter, and my major duty is to educate trouble youths of how to make a good choice, control our emotion, and to live in a better life.
Therefore, I have to hold those lessons into my everyday lives. I can't just tell them, but I don't practice those life values in my own life.

I, then, have another dillema. I want to stay w/ my best friends because that's the time I can hang out w/ them and also to avoid a "nerd" image that probably attach to me. However, I feel not right and guilty when I stay there. I fight so hard to stay longer in that place, but I don't think I can do it. I understand if they call me a lame girl because I don't either dance or drink, but I won't feel guilty at least.
I feel sad because I can't tell them that they shouldn't drink such like that. I had tried to tell them to reduce their drinking habit several times, but it didn't work.

I also observed people characteristics while I was there. It was interesting to watch their characteristics. Sometimes I think my friend drinks alcohols a lot because he/she can't handle his/her life stress such as, job hunting, work issues, family matter, and loneliness. Others drink alcohols and liquors because they want to taste and leave a "cool" impression. Some of them drink because they want to expand their knowledge in beverages.

In addition to that, I observed several guys at that place and made a case based on my observation. How if one day I have a boyfriend who has binge drinking? How should I tell him to stop? I also searched for acceptable/ reasonable characteristics from all guys who drank and dance in that place because I can't expect to have a boyfriend or future husband that doesn't drink at all or hasn't been to the pub before.
I know it's funny, but I find one characteristic that I believe each person should have, and it is an ability to control yourself (knowing your limit). You can drink and go to the bar/pub, but you must know when you must stop to drink and how you should act in that kinds of places.

I really wish my friends read this particular blog especially for those who drink alcoholic beverages frequently. I am hoping that they will understand and inspect their attitude once they read this blog.

Last but not least, it is okay if you disagree w/ what I write here because every one has different perception. What I am trying to say in this blog is that we need to be able to say "no" to our friends, even to our best friends if we truly know that we are right. DOn't drink, if you know that you don't like beers/ hard liquors or you think that those particular beverages are too strong for you. As my friend said, "You are responsible for your own life."

No comments: