Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Book Worm...

This is my third week in Pittsburgh, but I'd already bought two books, checked out a book from Carnegie Library, and have been in and out from several bookstores. The public library is very nice, huge (sorry, I'm from small town, and we only have 1 medium-size public library), and comfy. It seems to me that I enter a bookstore, not a library! I found a lot of good books, I mean up-to-date books, and more good stuff. Too bad that I'm going to leave Pittsburgh for 2 mths, so I can't borrow the books and take them home.

Then,,,,
Yesterday, I visited my friend's house, and he showed me two books in which one of them is his favorite book. He happened to ask me about my hobbies last week, and I told him that one of them was reading. That's why he showed me his books, and he ended up lending me his favorite book. I didn't ask, but he really wanted me to read it. A book which was written by Indonesian author, and I haven't finished reading it. He even said that he wanted to get a feedback from me. I guess the author of this book must be someone special for him, I mean more than just a best friend.

I don't really like to read comics... hehehe..
I started to read a novel back when I was in the late middle school, but I didn't read the novel well, boring, so I stopped. I then started to read again when I was in the tenth grade because my classmate who sat next to me was paid attention to Harry Potter not school materials. Her conversation topic always evolved around Harry Potter, so I became curious and asked if I could borrow her Harry Potter book. That was the beginning. I read all Harry Potter books, kept reading until 2 AM in the morning, and finally stopped when I moved to United States.

I began to learn to read novels that are written in English during my college years, and it wasn't easy... In addition to English novels, I was required to read scientific/business journals, newspaper, textbooks, and all were written in English. It was a daunting task to read English textbooks especially when you didn't like the subject, but you had no choices. But, I still enjoyed reading fiction novels, like romantic, loving novels. :)

Not until I worked w/ youths that I switched my reading preferences from romantic-fancy novels to family or children oriented books. This pattern is still happening until now, even though I try to mix it a little bit by choosing fiction novels. Still, I ended up reading informational books that require extra thoughts in order to understand the concept. I am really afraid that I'll get bored with these types of books, so I forced myself to borrow some fancy books, any readings that are easy to be understood. :)

I hope, one day, when I have children, at least one of them will inherit my reading hobby,, hahahaha

No comments: